One of the most prominent plastic surgeons in our country and internationally, Miodrag Colić MD, PhD was born on 14th May 1957 in Pirot. He finished the primary school and comprehensive school in Belgrade as a straight-A student, winning at that time four October Awards and one award presented by the daily Politika for literature.
He enrolled at the Medical School in Belgrade in 1976, and graduated on 31 March 1982 with an average grade 9.85. In the course of the studies he was a demonstrator for four years, namely one year in chemistry and three years in medical physiology. Eight scientific research papers that he produced were presented at student congresses. One of them The Effect of G-Strophanthin on the ECG Recording and the Heart Frequency in Rats during Sympathetic Blockades received the 1979 October Award of the city of Belgrade. During his studies, he received one Medical School and two University awards for his study success, as well as two awards from a student magazine Medicinski podmladak for professional papers published in it. After passing the state exam, the mandatory internship followed at the Medical School in Belgrade and general practice within the compulsory military service.
He started his permanent employment on 1 March 1985 at the Burns, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Centre upon its opening in 1985, and left in 2012. From 2001 to 2009, he was Centre’s Head.
PROFESSIONAL AND SCIENTIFIC CAREER
He started specialisation in plastic and reconstructive surgery in May 1985, and passed the specialist exam with top grades on 6 April 1990. In June 1987, he graduated as a Master from the Medical School in Belgrade with his paper Diagnostic and Therapeutic Aspects of Disorders in Breast Development (Prof. Ljubiša Tomić, MD, PhD as a Mentor).
On 21 October 1994, he defended his doctoral dissertation The Role of Hyperbaric Oxygenation in the Treatment of Eletrical Injuries at the Medical School with the University of Novi Sad (Mentors: Prof. Stevan Obradović MD, PhD and Nikola Dekleva MD, PhD, Chief Physician). The dissertation was the result of five-year research into treating severe and extensive injuries by high-voltage current at the Centre for Burns, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, as well as the application of adjuvant hyperbaric oxygen therapy which largely affected faster recuperation and a lower level of disability in such severe patients.
Miodrag Colić MD, PhD was appointed an Assistant at the Surgery Department with the Medical School in Belgrade in November 1991 and reappointed in December 1995. In 1998 he was elected an Assistant Professor, and re-elected in 2004.
Then, he was elected a Professor at the Surgery Department with the Medical School in Belgrade.
Study visits abroad:
- Four months (October 1987-January 1988) Plastic Surgery Department with Gregorio Maranon Hospital, Madrid (Prof J. Aviles Velastegui MD, PhD) and Sanatorio de la Nuestra Senora de la Paloma (Prof. B. Vilar-Sancho MD, PhD) as a Spanish Government fellowship holder.
- Six months (November 1991- May 1992) Dr Manuel Gea Gonzalez Hospital, Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery Department (Prof. F. Ortiz-Monasterio MD, PhD), as well as Hospital Angeles, Aesthetic&Plastic Surgery Department, Mexico, as a Mexican Government fellowship holder.
- Two months (May-June 1997) Centro de estudos Ivo Pitanguy - Rio de Janeiro, as well as Breast Surgery Centre, Sao Paulo, Brazil
1. Pathophysiology of Flaps (Madrid 1987) 2. Microsurgery Course (Belgrade 1989) 3. International Course in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (Ljubljana 1989) 4. Facial Skeleton Aesthetic Surgery (Mexico 1991) 5. Contemporary Rhytidectomy Concepts (Mexico 1991) 6. Musculocutaneous Flaps and Reconstructive Surgery (Mexico 1992) 7. The First CE Course in Aesthetic Surgery (Prague 1994) 8. I International Seminar-Hyperbaric Medicine (Miločer 1994) 9. Breast Surgery (Budapest 1995) 10. ISAPS 47. Instructions Course (Kyoto 1995) 11. ISAPS Instructions Course (Bali 1996) 12. ISAPS Instructions Course (Santiago 1996) 13. Course in CO2 Laser Application (Santiago 1996) 14. Ultrapulse CO2 Laser in Aesthetic Surgery (Sao Paulo 1997) 15. XXXIV Annual Gordon Baker Symposium (Miami 1998) 16. ISAPS Instructions Course (Athens 1998, Victoria Falls 1999, Beirut 2001, Belgrade 2001, Taipei 2002, Iasi 2003). The organizer and lecturer on ISAPS Courses in Belgrade 2001, Iasi 2003, Karachi 2006, Kushadasi 2007, Cape Town 2006, Venice 2006, Split 2008, Ohrid 2009, Sarajevo 2011, Xian 2010, Tashkent 2010, Beijing 2011, Kerala 2011, Athens 2012; as well as courses in Guadalajara 2005; an honorary lecturer at the Japanese Society congresses in 2005 and 2008. From 4- 6 September 2005, he organized one of the most successful ISAPS courses in Sveti Stefan gathering around 40 eminent global lecturers in this area, the number that had never been reached for these courses in aesthetic surgery.
Miodrag Colić MD, PhD was appointed a member of ISAPS Board of Directors (International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) in the capacity of the Chair of the National Secretaries 2004 to 2008, Secretary General 2008 to 2012 and Vice-Chair 2012-2013. From 2000-2008, he was the National Secretary of ISAPS for our country.
In 2011, he became the European Representative with the International Confederation for Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (IPRAS) as well as a member of the Committee on Cooperation with International Organizations.
He is one of the founders of the Balkan Society for Plastic Surgery and the organizer of two Balkan Congresses – in 2001 in Belgrade and in 2013 in Budva. In Belgrade, he became an Honorary Member of the Society. In 2000, he was appointed an Honorary Member and Professor of the Romanian Aesthetic Surgery Society.
He became an Honorary Member of the Uzbekistan Society in 2010, and an Honorary Member of the Hellenic Society in 2012.
Miodrag Colić MD, PhD is a member of the following associations:
- International College of Surgeons
- International Confederation for Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (IPRAS)
- International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS)
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
- New York Academy of Sciences
- European Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- International Wound Association
- European Burns Association
- Mediterranean Council for Burns and Fire Disasters
- Mediterranean Society for Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery
- Yugoslav and subsequently Serbian Society for Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (SRBPRAS)
- Romanian Aesthetic Surgery Society
- Uzbekistan Plastic Surgery Society
- Hellenic Plastic Surgery Society
- Albert Schweitzer International University - Hon. Professor
- Lipoplasty University - Professor and Provost
- Serbian Medical Society
He was President of the international aid organization Lions Club International for Yugoslavia in 2001-2002 and Serbia and Montenegro in 2003-2004.
Miodrag Colić MD, PhD has over 200 professional papers, with almost all of them presented at local and international conventions, and many of them published in specialist magazines. Also, he is the author of four monographs:
- Miodrag Colić: ELEKTRIČNI UDAR I HIPERBARIČNA OKSIGENACIJA. (“Electrocution and Hyperbaric Oxygenation”). Plastic&Aesthetic, Beograd, 1994. ISBN 86-901493-2-5
- Miodrag Colić and Biljana Todorović-Ćertić: ESTETSKA HIRURGIJA. (“Aesthetic Surgery”). Zavod za udžbenike i nastavna sredstva, Beograd, 1997. Second supplemented edition 2002. ISBN 978-86-17-15074-5
- Miodrag Colić, Vidosava Sremački-Cerovac, Sonja Cerovac and Milan Colić: PLASTIČNA HIRURGIJA - POTREBA ILI LUKSUZ.(“Plastic Surgery – Necessity or Luxury”). Zavod za udžbenike i nastavna sredstva, Beograd, 1999. ISBN 86-17-08048-5
- Miodrag Colić and Milan Colić: Estetska hirurgija lica i tela.(“Facial and Body Aesthetic Surgery”). Jefimija press, Beograd, 2003. ISBN 86-83537-07-2
He is a member of the Editorial Board of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery journal..
He is the author of collected poems TRAG VEČNOSTI (1994) (“The Trail of Eternity”)* (ISBN 86-901493-1-7) and a chapter on polarised light in face lifting in the textbook by Dimitrije Panfilov Aesthetic Surgery of the Facial Mosaic published by Springer in 2007. ISBN-10 3-540-33160-3 and ISBN-13 978-3540-33160-5, as well as three-volume monograph My journey around the world.
Since 2009, when the Serbian Breast Reconstruction Society (SURD) was established, he has been its President.
Miodrag Colić is a co-owner of Specialised Hospital for Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery Colić together with his brother Milan Colić, MD, Phd, Chief Physician.
Since 2010, he has been the Honorary Consul of the Republic of Peru.
He speaks English, French, Spanish and Portuguese.